Beginning with a pilot episode set in 1965, Endeavour centres around the early career of a young (not yet ‘Inspector’) Morse.
When we first meet this young constable we find a very uncertain figure, typing a letter of resignation to the sound of opera (naturally). Reeling from lost love and disenchanted by his police work, Morse doesn’t seem to quite fit in with his colleagues in Carshall-Newtown.
When a case in his old university stomping ground calls for reinforcements, however, Morse quickly comes to the attention of the kind and competent Detective Inspector Fred Thursday.
Recognising the constable’s talents, Thursday soon takes Morse under his wing. In the Inspector, Morse finds a much needed ‘father figure’ and, with Morse by his side, former soldier Thursday finally has a ‘bagman’ he can trust.
- Roger Allam – Fred Thursday
- Shaun Evans – Endeavour Morse
- Anton Lesser – Reginald Bright
- Sean Rigby – Jim Strange
- James Bradshaw – Max DeBryn
- Caroline O’Neill – Win Thursday
- Sara Vickers – Joan Thursday
- Jack Bannon – Sam Thursday
- Abigail Thaw – Dorothea Frazil
- Based on the Inspector Morse novels by Colin Dexter
- Writer: Russell Lewis
- Music by: Barrington Pheloung
For full cast & crew, please visit IMDb
- Inspector Morse fact file
- Series one press pack: episode guide and interviews (ITV Press Centre)
- Series two press pack: episode guide and interviews (ITV Press Centre)
- Series three press pack: episode guide and interviews (ITV Press Centre)
- Series four press pack: episode guide and interviews (ITV Press Centre)
- Series five press pack: episode guide and interviews (ITV Press Centre)
- Damian Barcroft’s interviews with cast and crew
- Behind the scenes photography by Nasir Hamid
Roger Allam said:
“It’s a wonderful role because I’ve done my fair share of smarmy, slightly villainous types- this is a man who’s more like someone from my parents’ background. He would be more or less exactly my father’s age I think. He’s more sort of salt-of-the-earth and good. Prepared to bend or break the rules but a strong, strong sense of what’s right or wrong formed, I think, by the war- his experiences in the war. I love playing that; I wear great 60s clothes and smoke a pipe. It’s brilliant.” (source)
gallery: TV (2011 – Now) || trailer: S1 / S2 / S3 / DVD (Pilot + S1-S3) / S4 / S5|| buy the DVD: S1 / S2 / S3 / S4 / S5|| Crime Connections video || Audio interview series 1 / Series 2 || TV Choice interview || PBS: what is Endeavour? || PBS: Endeavour’s relationships || PBS: The Sixties || Q & A transcript series 2 || Radio Times interview series 3 || Behind the scenes of series 3 || PBS: Where We Left Off || PBS: podcast series 3 || Interview on Lorraine || Interview on This Morning|| Fanart